Head of Retail and Publishing
Reports to: Commercial Director
Reporting to the Commercial Director, the Head of Retail and Publishing directly manages the Buyer, Retail Operations Manager, Publishing Manager and Ecommerce Manager. The total team numbers around 20 including freelancers and contractors. The Head of Retail and Publishing plays a strategic role with responsibility for delivering profits to the Design Museum – essential to ensuring its continuance. Not limited to the following, the role encompasses the profitable sourcing, production, marketing and sale of commercial products, including publications, through on site and digital platforms which align with the Museum’s strategic objectives.
The Head of Retail and Publishing plays a strategic role with responsibility for delivering profits to the Design Museum – essential to ensuring its continuance. Not limited to the following, the role encompasses the profitable sourcing, production, marketing and sale of commercial products, including publications, through on site and digital platforms which align with the Museum’s strategic objectives.
Knowledge, skills and experience
Experience & Knowledge
- Proven track record in retail management with specific profit and loss responsibility. X
- Good knowledge of publishing. X
- Knowledge of Ecommerce. X
- Experience of leading and managing a team, including team development, performance management, recruitment and training. X
- Experience of producing accurate and meaningful management information, including reports, strategy documents and operational procedures. X
Skills & Abilities
- Excellent financial, business management and planning skills with proven budget management responsibility. X
- Strong supplier management and negotiation skills. X
- Excellent communicator – able to communicate with a broad range of people to inspire and inform. X
- Collaborative approach to problem solving, working across an organisation. X
- Strong entrepreneurial drive and appetite. X
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. X
- Computer literate with good word processing and Excel skills and experience of using databases, EPOS and stock control systems. X
- Commercial experience within the museums, galleries, heritage or culture sector. X
- Understanding and knowledge of contemporary design. X
- Experience of using CRM systems. X
- Increase net profit by capitalizing upon on and off site visitors.
- Prepare and deliver the annual departmental strategic plan, supporting the museum’s business plan.
- Prepare annual budgets and reforecasts.
- Monitor and report on KPIs, taking appropriate corrective action where necessary.
- Analyse sales performance to develop knowledge and drive commercial return.
- Collaborate with Communications team to develop and implement a marketing strategy for Retail, Ecommerce and Publishing.
- Identify and advise on systems to improve profitability, activity management, reporting and operations. Responsible for stocktakes.
- Lead, motivate and develop the team including volunteers to deliver high performing retail function.
- Lead by example to demonstrate and embed the museum’s values within the team and the wider museum.
- Direct range strategy, planning and product development for core and exhibition ranges that sets an industry benchmark for quality, design and value for money.
- Manage the visual merchandising of all commercial areas. Give clear direction on standards and expectations leading to visually appealing and commercially driven retail layouts and displays.
- Maintain efficient and accurate inventory management that ensures the right products are in the right place at the right time.
- Build excellent levels of customer service.
- Explore commercial opportunities for Retail development, eg: pop ups, installations.
- Direct the development and delivery an ecommerce strategy which grows revenue and profitability through increasing traffic, conversion rate and average order value.
- Drive exploitation of growth opportunities e.g. affiliates, cross marketing, third party marketing channels and drop shipment arrangements.
- Oversee the integration of Ecommerce in to CRM
- Lead the management of publishing operations to ensure an appropriate and commercially viable publishing programme is delivered in line with the museum’s objectives.
- Collaborate with the Chief Curator for curatorial and editorial content.
- Line manage the Publications Manager to ensure delivery of the programme to an agreed schedule and budget.
- Identify appropriate resourcing on a project by project basis.
- Negotiating and manage all contracts with co-publishers.
- Oversee existing distribution and co-publication agreements & contracts to ensure best terms and value is achieved for the museum.
- Manage all external and internal distribution and selling arrangements.