SSRN, a pre-print social-networking platform serving a broad range of academic disciplines, is seeking a Publishing Director to expand its disciplinary coverage and better serve the SSRN editorial, classification and advisory communities.
The role is will give consideration to applicants near an Elsevier office: New York City; Cambridge, Massachusetts; Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
The role reports to SSRN’s Managing Director.
The role has one direct report. The report is responsible for coordinating a group of independent classifiers, who review submitted content and classify them in relevant SSRN journals.
The Publishing Director will need to travel approximately 25%. Occasionally travel over a weekend will be required.
Education and Knowledge
- PhD or advanced degree (e.g. M.Sc, MBA, MLS) X (MLS)
- 7+ years of relevant experience in some or multiple aspects of the publishing process. X
- Proven success in managing large groups X
- Proven success in achieving content acquisition goals X
- People management experience X
- Track record of communicating and working with senior management and stakeholders X
- Customer/Market focus X
- Strategic planning X
- Budget expertise X
- Ability to work in matrixed environment X
- Excel experience X
- Strong leadership skills including change management, risk taking and management, negotiation, communication, mentoring X
Elsevier competencies Framework
- Connects the group to the outside world X
- Displays high integrity and honesty X
- Collaboration and Teamwork X
- Establishes stretch goals X
- Champions Change X